Proof That It’s Pre-Code
- Christ, I don’t think you could even talk about half of the things that happen in this movie five years later.
- Sex, drugs, murder, all that jazz.
- A baby dies. Yes.
- Prostitution and attempted rape. Again.
- Homosexuals! Really! Though saying their portrayal is progressive in any way would be a lie.
- Also, not very progressively racially. But we’ll get to that.
If you haven’t gotten a taste of Pre-Code Hollywood yet, Call Her Savage may not be a bad place to start. It’s not a particularly good film, but it has more plots in it per capita than any movie released today. If you think that ‘plots’ crack is an overestimation, here’s a quick checklist for you:
Spoiled rich girl going wild on the town? Check. Bad marriage ending with the man going mad and the woman poor and pregnant? Check. Woman reascends to glitz and glamor and gets involved in a romantic rivalry with another man who she thinks is a tour guide but turns out to also be rich? Check. Woman eventually driven mad but turns out okay when she realizes she’s half Indian? …okay, that may not be a cliche.