Good news, everyone! In the six weeks since I announced the collaborative book Thoughts on The Thin Man, progress has been made! Besides finally finishing up grad school and getting to the prospect of finally receiving my Thin Man DVDs in the mail (ordered July 5th, estimated arrival August 21st?!), I’ve managed to get a few design issues hammered down that I wanted to share, as well as a fleshed out calendar for contributors.
For the cover, I contacted Melanie Berg of Little Burrows. I’d been a fan of her art style for a while, and thought her retro-inspired works would be a good fit for Nick and Nora.
Back Cover Art!
Jesse Miller of the webcomic “Life and How to Live It” will be providing the back art for the book. Half of this may be because he owes me a favor, but half is because the dude does some solid line work.
Lastly, I’ve also asked for layout and lettering help on the completed covers from Wallace McBride, the cool dude behind The Collinsport Historical Society and editor/cover designer on Bride of Monster Serial.
Calender and Due Dates
For any contributors checking in, here’s the timeline for the book’s completion! Remember, you can email me at email@example.com with questions, concerns, or, of course, your essay!
- September 4th
- Due date for contributions.
- If your piece will not be ready by this date, please send me an email.
- However, anyone who sends in their completed piece before the September 4th date will get a special gift from me (if you so choose).
- After your contribution is sent in, I will review it and suggest changes. Any essay’s final appearance in the book will be okay’d by the original author.
- September 18th
- Anyone who hasn’t sent in their piece by this time loses their claim on the subject.
- Since I’ll have a better idea about the content at this point, I’ll probably also have a few other pieces to offer for anyone who wants to try their hand at something but didn’t have an essay idea or waited.
- October 4th
- Cover art will be complete. All essays listed below should be submitted and have gone through a preliminary revision phase.
- A round of comprehensive editing and formatting for the book will commence. This should take about a month, but I’m giving it two just to be safe.
- December 4th
- Baring any unforeseen circumstances or just slowness on the part of eBook publishers, the book will be available for purchase!
Tentative Essays, Contributors, and Book Setup (9/7/14)
Please go to this update post to see the updated essay list!
If you have any questions, ideas, preoccupations or other thoughts, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or comment below. Things are going smoothly so far… but that may be because no one has sent me in any essays yet. 😉 Let’s get this show on the road!
doriantb · August 18, 2014 at 8:29 am
How incredibly cool, Danny! I’ll be watching your progress with great enthusiasm! 😀
Danny · August 20, 2014 at 11:32 am
Thanks Dorian! 🙂
Vanessa B (@callmeveebee) · August 18, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Sounds good! I’m very excited to see what the final cover art (front and back) ends up looking like because those artists you chose are really talented! I’ve started my essay but I don’t like how it’s coming along to be honest. I might have to delete it and start over again.
Things at the office have been incredibly stressful and hectic for the past couple of months, so I haven’t had a lot of spare time to work on my submission. Regardless, I should have it done sometime before September 4th. If not, I will give you a heads-up.
Danny · August 20, 2014 at 11:35 am
Thanks Vanessa! I sincerely appreciate the progress report! 🙂
Judy · August 19, 2014 at 6:46 am
It all sounds great. I might be able to chip in when you put up your ideas for extra essays!
Danny · August 20, 2014 at 11:39 am
Awesome, Judy! I’ll let you know!
Comments are closed.